What is Riverside Small Sparks Neighborhood Matching Grant Program?
For many years residents within the City of Riverside have invested countless hours of time, services, materials, and money in various neighborhood improvement projects. The Small Sparks Neighborhood Matching Grant Program supports local grassroots projects within the 26 neighborhoods in the City of Riverside. Small Sparks provides cash to match community contributions of volunteer labor, donated professional services or materials, or cash donations in support of neighborhood-based self-help projects. Projects are funded up to $500.00 once a year to neighborhood groups.
What kinds of Neighborhood Matching Grant projects are funded? Two categories:
1. Neighborhood Improvement/Beautification: A project that creates or enhances a physical improvement in a neighborhood.
2. Neighborhood Social Enhancement: A one-time grant for a community building activity such as a festival or celebration, workshop/training or educational campaign.
Funded projects should:
• Improve the health & safety of residents
• A significant number of people or a neighborhood
• Be resident initiated and neighborhood based
• Encourage residents to prioritize goals and collaborate on projects
• Build community by connecting neighbors
• Neighborhood Exchange of existing skills and resources
• Occur within the Riverside city limits
What cannot be funded:
• Projects for programs developed and delivered by an outside organization, for example, PTA, scout groups, service clubs
• Projects for ongoing operating costs or programs
• Projects for retro-active expenses or debt retirement
• Projects that benefit only one person
• Projects that promote political campaigns
How do I apply for the Neighborhood Matching Grant?
• The Neighborhoods Division for an application
• Complete application, pledge form, and budget form
• Call Neighborhoods Division if you need assistance
• All applications for 2015 funding shall be submitted no later than 5:00pm, Friday, May 1st, 2015.
Past projects funded:
Community Garden Plant Material
“Meeting tonight” Yard Signs
Historic District Identification Signs
Neighborhood Emergency Preparedness Kits
Community-based Traffic Safety Program Materials
Neighborhood Tree Planting/Beautification
Membership Drive Block Party
For more information or to apply, click here.
Grants like Riverside Small Sparks Neighborhood Matching Grant are great examples of Seizing Our Destiny’s unified city pillar. Riversiders are working together everyday to not only address local issues, but to also have a positive impact on the region, nation, and world.